Has time gotten away with you today? No idea what to make for dinner?
Here are 10 recipes, brought to you in 25 words (or less). They take hardly any longer to prepare than to read (or to text to yourself as a reminder of what to pick up on the way home).
Vegetarian? Carnivore? Lazy@$$? There’s something here for everyone – courtesy of The Lame Cook!!
1. Tortellini soup: Put stock in pot. Bring to boil. Throw in tortellini. Simmer six minutes. Turn off heat. Add frozen veg and let sit three minutes. Enjoy.
- (click here for the full Lame Chef recipe)
2. Cock-a-leekie: slice and saute three leeks. Add three cups chicken stock and 1/4 cup barley. Simmer 45 minutes. Turn off heat and add frozen veg. Tasty.
3. Zingy Noodle Soup: Put stock from one pack ramen noodles in two cups water- remove foil first! Add soy and hot sauces, vinegar, noodles, beansprouts. Boil three minutes.
4. Hummus: Blend one large can chickpeas, 1/4 cup each tahini (sesame paste) and lemon juice, one teaspoon cumin, one-half teaspoon smoked paprika, cayenne and salt.
5. Saganaki: slice kefalotiri (or romano) cheese 1/4 inch thick. Dredge with flour. Fry in lots of butter until golden. Serve with lemon wedges and bread. Opa!
6. Greek Surprise Salad: chop one red onion. Let sit in lime juice 1/2 hour. Cube watermelon. Add feta, kalamata olives, fresh herbs, salt, pepper. Pour onion/lime over.
7. Fennel Citrus Salad: slice one bulb fennel. Add one tin mandarin oranges with juice, one quarter cup white wine vinegar, salt, pepper. Dress with edible flowers.
8. Chicken a la grecque: Brown boneless chicken breasts. Add sauce grecque (one can cream of chicken soup, half can water, lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper). Simmer half an hour. Yum.
9. Desperation Curry: Saute one pound ground meat with soy sauce, pepper, onion and garlic (powder will do), red wine vinegar and BBQ sauce. Serve with rice.
10. Perogies: Chop onion and bacon – saute ten minutes. Meanwhile, boil perogies in salted water until they float to top – drain. Saute perogies in bacon mixture. Mmmm.
11. Boozy Trifle: cut stale cake or muffins into cubes. Put in bowl. Soak with booze of your choice. Mix in pudding or custard and fruit or jam.
12. Decadent Delight: got cookies and pudding packs? Crush cookies, layer with pudding in bowl. Mix in whipped cream or cool whip and freeze 20 minutes. Mmm.
AND… (drumroll please) THE LAME COOK’S DOZEN BONUS!
- (photo of zest of 12 lemons plus one lime from Michael Dietsch’s Flickr page)
Baklava in 50 words or less!!
- shred half pound phyllo into large pan. Mix in two cups nuts and half pound melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees 20 minutes. Let cool. Bring one and a half cups honey, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup orange juice, two cinnamon sticks to boil. Pour syrup over cooled pastry. Dee-lish!
Kali orexi! (bon appetit in Greek).
And, for more tips, 25 word recipes and laughs with the Lame Cook, bookmark this page: How Not To Be A Chef!
Have any ideas for 25 Word or Less Recipes? Drop me a line and I’ll post your ideas with a link to your blog!
Why not subscribe?